Howe Field

A Hit at Home

	Black and white photo of University of Oregon middle infielder Eugene "Wimp" Hastings after making the relay throw to first as part of a double play, while an opposing base runner bears down on him, during a game played at Howe Field during the late 1950s. The University of Oregon’s first faculty athletic representative, Hebert C. Howe, serves as the namesake for the Ducks’ current softball field. Originally constructed as a baseball field in 1936, the field cost approximately $10,000. Fittingly, the opening of Howe Field followed the Oregon baseball team’s second consecutive Pacific Coast Conference Northern Division title.

Throughout the next 45 years, the field served as the home to the successful Duck baseball team. From 1935-1955, Oregon was crowned PCC Northern Division Champions 10 times. Although the next 20 years garnered fewer accolades, the team, and the baseball field, symbolized Oregon’s athletic tradition.

Black and white photo of University of Oregon outfielder Bill Carney rounding third base during a game against Idaho at Howe Field in either 1942 or 1943. As budget cuts forced the University to eliminate the intercollegiate baseball team from the lineup in 1981, Howe Field slowly underwent changes to adapt to the shifts in athletic focus. By 1987, the field was fully converted to a softball complex. Additions and improvements continued to be made, including bleacher sections in 1995, new dugouts and a backstop in 1996, and a new scoreboard in 1998.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *