Since the first baseball game in 1877, the University has made substantial efforts to offer the best accommodations for student-athletes. The changes in facilities, including construction and remodeling, represent the evolution of sports at Oregon. The stories behind these building efforts demonstrate the University’s resilience in the face of challenges and appreciation for tradition with a vision for the future.
Catalysts for Competition
The need for athletic facilities and fields arose as the University began dabbling in sports in the late 1870s. As sports competitions gained popularity in the early 1900s, so did the need for better playing areas.
One of the most recognizable and respected track and field venues in the nation, Hayward Field continues to be adapted to meet the changes in the sport, redefining its character and maintaining its presence as a core element in the University’s track and field heritage.
Gerlinger Hall, built in 1921 and originally named the Women’s Building, represents the heritage and growth of women’s athletics at Oregon.
The history of Howe Field spans its initial construction as the UO baseball field to its current use for women’s softball.
McArthur (Mac) Court holds a prominent role in athletics at Oregon as the home to UO basketball.
Consistently ranked in the Top 10 Collegiate Stadiums in America, Autzen Stadium is a fixture in the athletic landscape at Oregon.