Hayward Field was originally constructed as a football field in 1919. Two years later, the University added a six-lane cinder track, marking the beginning of track and field at the venue. As Hayward Field began to host more prominent events, continuous improvements were necessary to bring the facility up to specifications. In 1970, the venue was designated solely for track and field use, as the football team had moved into the newly constructed Autzen Stadium three years earlier. Hayward Field underwent its last major renovation in the late 1980s when the track was converted from 440-yards to a 400-meter oval.
During its lifetime, Hayward Field has been the site of nine NCAA Championships, three U.S. Olympic Trials, the annual Prefontaine Classic, six National Championships, and numerous other distinguished meets. Today, Hayward Field is transitioning into the next chapter of Oregon's track and field history by continuing to host high-caliber events, such as the 2008 U.S. Olympic Trials.
From local amateur meets to Pac-10 Championships and USA Master's competitions, Hayward Field serves as a performance platform for athletes of all ability levels. To this day, Marty Liquori's famous words describing Hayward Field as the "Carnegie Hall" of track and field venues continue to echo loud and clear.